Sunday, September 7, 2014

Crack's Nocturnal Emissions (In The Full Light Of Day)


The new motto of American life

So, now the state of California has frozen my bank account over a tax bill I paid three years ago, which required a previous year-and-a-half of dealing with them. They have no record of any of it. Luckily, I have an accountant who does, but still, I am now officially screwed. San Francisco's "generosity" in light of this only goes as far as allowing me a week's extension to clear up their mistake.

I have only the money that's on me now.


Why "acting white" isn't a real thing

Things have gotten so tight, I don't even have time for my daily dose of Diet Racism at Althouse, though I do still look and - since it's just isolated white folks talking about blacks to each other - I find it, easily, every time. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, now that I can't actually get inside.


The effects of slave ownership are many and long-lasting

I heard a black woman today, screaming "Why have you abandoned me?" over and over again, probably speaking for us all.


I.C.U. Baby

The streets of San Francisco are a unique observation point for witnessing the callousness of Americans, or humans, take your pick. Rich caucasians, navigating junkies with their pants down to openly shoot heroin in their legs - and dealers loudly selling "Roxies" - stupidly risking everything they have for a cute new "eclectic" restaurant mentioned in a hotel brochure. Walking by them, they, too, are engaged in Diet Racism and I pass them without comment. I know the ignorance in this country all too well and I, too, have to eat.


I already had too much on my plate anyway

Except for fast food, no place is open I can afford, until I find a little diner run by a Thai couple. I sit, and in the next booth are a prostitute and her john, negotiating terms over coffee. I'm in the center of The City, but also the poorest section, so there's no Wi-Fi connection. Fuck. My phone's almost out of a charge, too. FUCK. Forget about it. I dive into a meal I'm happy to get, because it's huge, and under $9.00 on a Sunday.


Your average police WANTED poster

A friend, working as a doorman, caught some Diet Racism last night. A drunk guy had to be thrown out and threw out the meta-racism that, because of his size, my friend was "dangerous" and "deserved to be in prison." Rather than break the guy in two, he talked with moi a while, because I'm older, and we ended up laughing it off - after my warning he should always remember that's how many whites still think, so watch himself. I'd so hate for him to be Michael Brown.


Our blood is already on his hands

Like so much about America these days, that would be a real let-down,...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON