Sunday, October 7, 2012

"Well It's 'One' For The Money, 'Two' For The Show,..."


I'm loving this story for what it reveals about society today:
'I WAS too old to have IVF twins at 58': Nearing 70 and widowed, ex-nurse Janet admits she should not have been allowed to have them

Whoa-ho-ho! So, all of a sudden, there's a societal role for decisions individuals make, huh? 

Interesting.


So the sop, about how "you can believe what you want to believe," may not be as valid as some thought? It might be "childish," even? "The smartest man of the 20th century" thought so:
A handwritten letter by Albert Einstein in which he calls religion 'childish' is to be sold at auction - with a starting price of £1.85million. 
The Nobel Prize-winning scientist questions the existence of God in a letter penned to philosopher Eric Gutkind in 1954. 
In the private letter, which was a response to Gutkind’s book ‘Choose Life: The Biblical Call to Revolt’, the genius says the word God is 'nothing more than the expression of human weaknesses'. 
The agnostic Jew goes on to say the Bible is a 'collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish'. 
He adds: 'For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. 
'And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. 
He added: 'As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. 
'Otherwise I cannot see anything ‘chosen’ about them.'

And yet, Western society rejects the role of maturity, and insists we need to keep encouraging "nothing more than the expression of human weaknesses" in a bid to create a stronger and more intelligent world.


Ah, Hell, what am I saying?



These babies can't even handle getting rid of Big Bird,...


1 comment:

  1. Ah, "shouldn't have been allowed"...not, "after thinking about it I realized it was a really stupid thing, therefore I chose not to do it even though I had really wanted to".

    This is perhaps the story of the human condition -- and we have built up God to help us grant ourselves that out. The devil, after all, makes us do it.
    This is the problem I have with organized religion (although I still believe I'm going to Hell, because I couldn't get that lucky so as to avoid it).

    And while I too detest Big Bird and Sesame Street, Mark Steyn and Co. are beginning to rankle me as well, because they are rah-rahing for a candidate and an increasingly odious political party who are every bit as stale, arid, and pigeon-holed/court mandarin-ized, so horridly boring and unartful, as the other guys. It's inhumane to foist that off on the world (and my kids, my poor kids that I can't completely shelter from their Lady Gaga indoctrination)...and it means that this will likely be my eternal reward: to have to deal with these devils....like a bunch of brainless little indoctrinated ants who can't even build a proper colony for want of creative juice.
    1984, no matter which way you slice it.
    God (!) help me (which is I hope you know, complete facetiousness from me -- while there is some helpful advice in the New Testament on how to conduct oneself, my own comprehension of a divine being is more along the lines of the workings of the cosmos...and as such isn't going to really give two shits about listening to paltry little me and my petty wants).
    Still, I suppose at this point praying for divine intervention is as workable a tactic as any...
    PW

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON