Monday, September 16, 2013

Everything That They Don't Know Is Equal - To What I Do Know - And Even I Know I Need Help In Knowing Things


I've never heard of Karl Kraus, but he sounds, as the saying goes, like "a kindred spirit":
He wasn't in the business of denigrating the masses or lowbrow culture; the calculated difficulty of his writing wasn't a barricade against the barbarians. It was aimed, instead, at bright and well-educated cultural authorities who embraced a phony kind of individuality – people Kraus believed ought to have known better.

You can guess who all they'd be, today, I'm sure.


The political results - with blacks and the poor clamoring to join their cause - speak for themselves.


And, if not, here's a "ought to have known better" hint.

ADDED:



Can you imagine what things would look like, if Putin had written his Op-Ed, but started referencing the "teachings" of Joseph Smith?



We'd be far beyond just "embarrassed" on the world stage,...
 

5 comments:

  1. Don't blame me - at least I voted against Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " he sounds, as the saying goes, like "a kindred spirit"

    You could have fit right in with his "cult-like followers".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Franzen: "I read the Globe with an especially cold Krausian eye, and it obligingly enraged me with its triviality and its shoddy proofreading and its dopily punning weather headlines."

    I chuckled at that line, considering the second paragraph of Franzen's essay starts off with a typo.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON