Friday, March 21, 2014

Racist Things That Happen Because No One Sees Race


I witnessed this phenomena about a week ago - when Grand Theft Auto V players adopt the black character, they start attacking other blacks in the game and unself-conscienciously saying "Get that nigger!":



And - being "colorblind" - the players have no idea these are cultural signifiers for blacks actually in the room with them. So, because it's been deemed "uncool" to bring it up, friendships die with only the blacks knowing why. I mean, if you were black, would you continue to hang out with Americans who exhibited that behavior? 


Something else Americans (apparently) aren't aware of, are the faces of fear and disgust regularly made to blacks. I got one yesterday while sitting in my car. Just total disgust from a woman.


Why? I said I was sitting in my car. My crime was, once she turned her head, I entered her field of vision. 
It happens a lot.


I often wonder if it changes their perspective as it does mine,...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON