Monday, September 16, 2013

I Now Understand Why That Mormon Guy Told Me To Call Him (If Anybody Ever Tried To Make Me A Slave)


If I had done that last post, and had a black readership, I would've been high-fived.


I didn't used to write about the paradox of being black in America. I insisted the topic was pointless, useless, a waste of my time and my country's.


But you know what happened? I got shouted down - by white people. How many times did I stomp away from Althouse, because race was a never-ending topic, with me as it's subtext whether anybody else realized it or not? 

I stopped counting.


But now I say O.K., you want to talk? Let's talk. My blog. I speak up and (as most blacks would tell me, and many did, offline) my one black voice is vile - because I don't agree about some white folks' take on the truth of my black existence amongst them. Among other things. I mean, there's been a controversy over how I talk, and now it's gotten to what I say. I've even been told how to interpret my past. Easy to do, if you're Althouse and German, but not if you're of somewhere-in-African descent.


Basically, it's Native Son all over again (now online!) while we pretend it's all-so-very over, for your own convenience and/or peace of mind. I told you I wanted it over. But no - everybody had to choose up sides over Trayvon! (The musical) And before that it was something else. And before that it was something else. Whites choose their battles. I didn't want it and had nothing to do with it.


But, thanks to y'all, I've since had to choose.


And on race, I choose, conservatives are as fucking weird, confusing, and clueless - and confining - as liberals, any day,...

4 comments:

  1. Althouse is all about getting for herself and her own.

    The two great political crusades of her life have been to get more stuff for upper middle class white ladies (feminism) and to get more stuff for upper middle class kids of white professionals (gay marriage).

    And, she can explain to you in exquisite detail how she embarked on these crusades without any hint of self-dealing. She's an intellectual, you see, and she can and will construct a brilliant edifice of intellectual bullshit to prove to you that she is a selfless crusader for civil rights...

    For upper middle class white ladies and their kids.

    No point in fighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which conservatives? Instead of making a blanket statement like that maybe you out to name names. I'll take conservatives over leftists any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON