Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Cult War: One Mother Stands Alone

QUESTION:

I just read a horrible, unfavorable and un-researched article from some Boston blogger/reporter, pretty much calling [Anonymous] jerks for protesting a religion, and not having anything better to do.

ANSWER:

I’m offended by that — really, truly, deeply offended by his ignorance. I have not undertaken this lightly or impetuously. Maybe there are some who are in it because it’s a popular thing to do, or for the “lulz,” or who don’t understand or believe what these people can and will do to fight any and all critics. I don’t know. Our group seemed incredibly well-informed, disciplined, passionate, cautious and even empathetic toward Scientologists as individuals. You know how I got into this, because you were there kind of at the beginning for me. I thought Scientology was just a harmless but avant garde philosophy, or something, and knew nothing. The Tom Cruise video didn’t give me giggles. It scared me because he is obviously disturbed; someone has done something very wrong to him, and I wanted to know what.

Hundreds of Google searches, followed links, documents read, anonymous e-mail registries made, and comments posted… and here I am. I’m 39 years old, a Midwestern mom of [removed to protect identity], in a very happy marriage with a wonderful man – and I feel as if I’ve fallen into an alternate universe. I had no idea such evil really existed, at least in the United States . I can’t believe they’re allowed to operate here, and so easily subvert the justice system to their advantage, bullying and terrorizing people who merely present balanced articles. As a former reporter, that strikes a very personal fear and fury into my heart. I have agonized, literally cried and shaken with fear, at the thought of deliberately walking into the line of fire with a family at stake. My husband and I have had arguments about why it’s so important that I spend 10 hours a day reading literature on the subject. As a reporter, it was THAT important for me to consider all sides, be fair, include all available information, and there has been a flood recently, including the videos of Miscavige speaking about 2006 accomplishments. My leisure time, personal hygiene, and work/family duties have all taken a big hit for about a month now. I was jumping at shadows, (going “tinfoil”), even ripping open an unexpected package. I received financial information mailed to my home address for a new credit card account in someone else’s name, and of course called the company to inform them of the mistake, destroying the cards/PIN numbers.

It has been very scary, difficult, and stressful. I almost wish I could go back to a time when I knew nothing, because it was easy to know nothing, and fear nothing.

All my friends are mystified by my passion about this, and the lack of support combined with fear to dissuade me. My husband had no interest in any of it, saying I was lending credibility to Scientology by opposing it, and was giving in to “compulsion.”

“They’re whackjobs, and most people are NOT going to even go there.” He said, “You’ve lost your sense of proportion.”

I said, “And you, I’m sad to say, are one of many who will sit on their asses until danger is 10 feet from your front stoop. That’s how these things go so far – underestimating them and not being informed.”

2 comments:

  1. Neil Bush and Lisa Marie Presley work Capital Hill for Scientology

    Neil Bush, the brother of President George W. Bush, and Lisa Marie Presley both worked the nation's capital last week in what seemed to be largely a Scientology effort to lobby congress.

    Presley is the designated celebrity talking head for the "Citizens' Commission on Human Rights" (CCHR) founded by Scientology.

    Presley and Bush appeared before the House Committee on Government Reform to rap the use of Ritalin and other drugs used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

    Presley also took time to interview with People Weekly to promote this effort.

    It is interesting that United Press International reported crtically about the President's brother's appearance with Scientologists. Long-time Bush family friend Rev. Moon, founder of the Unification Church, controls UPI. Perhaps the two "cults" are mutually exclusive to the point of a bit of jealousy.

    During the hearings Rep. Constance Morella (R-MD) pointedly exposed the CCHR as little more than a Scientology effort to discredit psychiatry, their perceived nemesis, reports ABC News. Morella quoted the CCHR's international president, who described psychiatry as a "malignant disease" that "threatens society and ultimately mankind."

    L. Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology taught his disciples that mental health professionals are virtually Satanic. Perhaps this was because of Hubbard's struggle with his own demons. He once requested psychiatric help and was apparently given to both fits of hysterical rage and seemingly pathological lying.

    Whatever the personal reasons were, which may have motivated Hubbard's vitriolic attacks against the mental health profession, one thing seems certain. Since Scientology sells itself as the best way to cure or "clear" the mind, psychiatry, psychiatrists and psychiatric drugs represent a competing alternative to their business. And what better way to shoot down the competition than stage an attack before Congress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, Neil Bush is a piece of work, isn't he?

    And cults are notorious for being jealous of one another.

    Why Congress does the things they do, regarding cults - and Scientology in particular - is beyond me. When I was researching the vitamin and supplement industry, I was amazed at the decisions that were made, on behalf of obvious con men, like the passage of DSHEA. But then they had idiots, like Tom Harkin, and assholes, like Orrin Hatch, helping them out the whole way.

    What to do, what to do,...

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON