Sunday, December 2, 2012

I Told You From The Beginning - Now Shut Up Already


We were this close:

I immediately called Mitt’s home, and Ann answered. She encouraged me to go down and visit with him at the campaign office. When I entered the office, there was a table to my right where I saw women from the ward working. I said, “Hi,” and he asked, “What brings you here?” I told him I was interested in politics, that I heard he was taking a pro-choice stance, and that I was wondering if, as a Democrat and fellow Mormon, maybe I could work for him. I wanted to understand his stance better. “Yes, I’m definitely for choice,” he said. And I said, “Great, we agree on that.” Then, he said, “In Salt Lake, they told me it was okay to take that position in a liberal state.” I said, “That doesn’t make me quite as happy. I’d rather know you really believe it.” 
...I asked, “What about women who might be on public assistance?” He said, “I would never have the state provide for abortion.” I said, “For a lot of Massachusetts women that won’t work.” He got very restless and stood up and said, “I am pro-choice; is there something else?” And so I asked him how he planned to address the recent excommunications of Mormon feminists, which had been covered in the New York Times and Time magazine. And he said, “What’s your question?” I said that a lot of people think they were not excommunicated for misconduct but for their views. Mitt said, “With any bishop who excommunicates a woman, I will not question his reasoning. I will support the bishop.” Then, he said, “Well, I don’t think we have much to talk about,” and I told him that I had at least wanted to try, and I gave him my best wishes. But I realized that I could not work for him.


“Nothing so unbecame his campaign as his manner of leaving it. I don’t think he’ll ever be a significant figure in public life again.”

Because we were this close:

"The bottom line is that a little bit of messiness and frank family discussion is not a terrible thing after an election like this."

That was much, much too close:

The featured speaker at graduation was Tagg’s grandfather George, ever the distinguished-looking statesman even in his early eighties. But the speech itself was a shock—a jeremiad about the importance of chastity and the false god of evolution. “My wife isn’t a descendant of orangutans,” George thundered.

Since you simply wouldn't vet him - that's why,…
 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you did tell us! And you were the only one I know of that did. Even though the content you gave us was based on your unique perspective, it was at least factual - something ignored by everyone else because it didn't fit the required narrative.

    I fear for us when the narrative (usually based on false assumptions or outright lies) become more important than the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be afraid then, be very afraid.

    PW

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON