Tuesday, April 22, 2008

CLI, Oprah, And The Madness Of Crowds



While this is all goofy fun, I'm glad to see people are noticing there's something going on out there. (It's definitely better than everybody telling me I'm crazy.) But I can also see the outlines of trouble: just as when I used to wish people were more politically aware, and now all they know how to do is diss the government, a budding awareness of cults can lead to the "everything is a cult" bullshit (Dick Cheney, etc.) revealing the same superficial scholarship. It's like, when it comes to group think, most people today - or maybe ever in history - can't focus on anything long enough to truly understand it. They specialize in sketchy knowledge. And not only is that what cults use to get people - and they've got a lot of people now (many who don't even know they're part of the cult phenomena, like Yoga people) - but it's also how scary shit happens in retaliation,....

The madness of crowds.



Oprah deserves this treatment. She deserves even more. I just think it's a shame the Christians are doing it alone, though I'm aware Christians have always been ahead of the curve when it comes to cults. Most people don't take cultism seriously, precisely because Christians fight them - which only reveals how stupid most people are because it's that smarty-pants attitude that leaves those same people vulnerable to the cult's efforts - but (as someone who's not prejudiced, as most atheists are, about religion) I'll take all the help against NewAge I can get.

We can't count on most scientists for help,...that's for sure.

3 comments:

  1. CMC: you, and your fat black ass, stand out in a crowd. Trust me. Also, I think a high pain tolerance could be a good thing. In your case. Also, it was a back handed compliment, at best. You can do better than that, yes? No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think it's a shame the Christians are doing it alone, though I'm aware Christians have always been ahead of the curve when it comes to cults.

    LOL. Thats like saying that mousquitos have always been ahead of the curve when it comes to sucking blood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richter,

    Look, dude, I'm not one of those idiots trying to get "In God We Trust" taken off of money, or "Under God" taken out of the Pledge of Allegiance. I don't want churches destroyed or anything - I just want room for my views and the ability to go through my life without almost every jackass in the world trying to convert me into some bullshit. Or demanding it.

    Laugh if you want, but you'd be surprised how wide a berth I give people in my (offline) life.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON