Monday, August 4, 2008

I Didn't Used To Hate You. But Now I Do.

Being a guru, of course, means mats upon mats of temptation: new, impressionable students. “In the past, I think I was conveniently ignorant,” says [Rodney] Yee, who has apologized for previous infidelities. “I was pretending to myself that I wasn’t sexual in class.” Now he turns down yoga retreats where the students hang out with the instructors all day, the very setting that gave rise to his affair with [Colleen] Saidman. “The thing is, I trust him at this point,” she says. “Maybe that’s ridiculous, but I have to.”

“We both have to,” says Yee. “And yet we both don’t.”

“There are little things,” concedes Saidman. “Like when Rodney’s away and I’ll have dinner with some guy friends, he goes crazy. And he knows he doesn’t need to.”

“I’ll ask her, ‘Okay, what were you wearing?’ ” says Yee, with a smile. “And of course, it’s her shortest miniskirt.”

Saidman insists that her bare midriff isn’t the problem. “The thing is, I think I’m actually more sexual in class than Rodney is. Even my touch is more sensual than his is. And I dress a lot sexier. But I think my boundaries are a lot clearer.”

“They were before,” Yee corrects her. “I think my boundaries are extremely clear at this point. Partly because I’m satisfied.”

“Because I’d kill him otherwise,” Saidman says.

“No,” Yee continues, “because I’m satisfied.”

Despite their apparent fulfillment, Saidman concedes they’re not poster children for proper conduct on the mat: “The teacher-student relationship is very complicated. That can definitely be taken advantage of by a teacher. And I think a teacher shouldn’t go there. Even though we did.”


-- Abigail Pogrebin, profiling two of the enlightened ones - with their "enlightenment" clearly on display for all to see, because they got that weird Yin/Yang thing goin' - which has to all be part of some cosmic NewAge plan to elevate New York Magazine.

Man, I tell you, I got it all figured out.

1 comment:

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON