Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Macho Response: Liyel Imoke

"We have invested resources in building the socio-economic status of our state and we will not fold our arms and watch cultists destroy our efforts. I am following due process that is why I administer the oath. If you know that you belong to any cult group, please it is better to leave the oath, because if you take it when you are still a member, your life will be at risk. I will fight cultism in Cross River State. I don‘t care if I lose my life in the course of doing that."
-- Liyel Imoke, Governor of Nigeria's Cross River State - and the first politician (I've heard of) to openly declare war on cultism - letting everyone know he understands the stakes, because he's the one delivering The Punch.

This is exactly what we need here: not a witch hunt, but just a clear acknowledgment it's over, and there will be punishment where appropriate. Prominent gurus, global warmers, Homeopaths, psychics, Scientology, Oprah, Rhonda Byrne, etc., would probably be first eradicated, just for their high profile, but they'd all have to go - and then face the music. Hell, even the music we'd listen to would change. Everything would.

I don't know about you, but I read somewhere people were kinda into that nowadays,....

1 comment:

  1. the first politician to openly declare war on cultism

    ---------

    You're kidding, right?

    Various Roman emperors persecuted cultism ruthlessly for almost 300 years. So did the Egyptian pharaohs before them.

    More recently we also have the Spanish inquisition, the European Witchhunts, etc, etc, etc...

    History - it's not just for elementary school students.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON