Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Because I Had No Family They Could Do Anything To Me


No, I'm not becoming a TED head. I just don't get to hear from others raised in foster care much - especially not anyone successful - and this guy seems to know the score. 

He says foster kids deserve respect, which is true, because our mere existence - isolated in the world - is a bigger accomplishment than most other's major achievements. You got a PhD, or your Masters, studying, or pretending to be "oppressed" by men, whites, blacks, whatever? Or maybe you think you're smart, because you have money? Ha. Good for you - you also had parents and a family:

I've survived almost every evil ever invented in the history of man, and I beat most of it alone, as a child.

I tucked myself in, read my own bedtime story, and sang myself to sleep - despite everything - and I'm still here. 

Unfortunately, as this speaker makes clear, this broken society - which is always ready to unleash some new degradation on me - still hasn't learned how to value the wisdom inherent in that yet.

Excuse me if I don't hold my breath, waiting,...

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON