Friday, September 20, 2013

My Idea Of "Jesus On The Mount" Is A Bizarre Sex Act


Nice chat with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas today - and a reminder of why Catholicism can be so attractive:

“If the founding fathers came back and saw what we have today, would they be surprised, pleased?”  Malecha asked.

“I think most of what they say would be bleeped out,” Thomas answered.

Between jokes, Thomas talked about his life. The road from tiny Pin Point, Ga., where he shared a one bedroom with his grandfather and brother, to the highest court was long and hard, he said. But he drew strength from the Irish nuns who taught him school, who told him that African-Americans were inherently equal to white people.

“I read these narratives about the South, and they all have us crawling through dirt, and when we’re not crawling, we’re running from the Klan,” he said. “I lived with people that were positive and reinforcing and directed us in a certain way.”

Because of the nuns’ influence, Thomas said he has spent his life trying to similarly inspire “kids from modest backgrounds, kids whose parents had to decide between the rent and braces.”

“They are the people who reflect the American dream,” he said. “They don’t need you to carry them. They just need a part of your life to give them guidance.”

I wish he'd remind everyone why the nuns had to constantly be reminding proud blacks they're O.K. compared to whites (Was somebody pushing the message we aren't?) but that's O.K.. Thomas takes so much guff from everybody, there's no way I'd add to it. 


It's weird - I'm doing worse than ever, yet I feel like I'm carrying the GOP, all by myself.

Oh well - doing the hard work:


Politics is one sad, isolating business,...
 

3 comments:

  1. Thing is, Crackers, you see yourself crawling through the dirt or whatever. You don't see yourself or other black people as being equal, or surrounded by people like Thomas, or the people he was surrounded with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well, I ain't got no nuns protecting me, either.

    How do you see yourself, Cody?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not to seem myself if at all possible, Crack.

    You know how it is.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON