Monday, September 3, 2012

Messy: Working At The Height Of Our Power's Like That


This is Talking Heads, featuring members of Parliament/Funkadelic with King Crimson's Adrien Belew, doing "Crosseyed & Painless" - easily the best, and most sophisticated, bit of songcraft in their entire collection. And this particular performance in Rome was a beautiful train wreck of epic proportions. My God, what a mess. I've loved it for over over three decades now.

This is an awesome band, operating with everything turned up to Eleven, and I can't help but think this is a perfect example of what's what wrong with my country today:

We've forgotten how to be,...this

As we glide to giving the fucking Mormon Tabernacle Choir the stage, we're also running from what makes us so fucking awesome - the sheer incomprehensible, multi-platinum clusterfuck that is America Unleashed. Look at that crowd. I bet - whether in Rome, or Africa, or Los Angeles - no one could do more than stare with their mouths open and dance because they had no friggin' idea what to make of it! It could ONLY have come from here. And we're throwing it all away for a sense of order? Please.

 "I'm still waiting"? 

 No I'm not - my country is leaving without me,...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON