Monday, October 14, 2013

The New Jim Crow Ain't The Old Jim Crow But It's Real


As I'm writing about race for whites, and catching undue hell for it, I feel like I'm talking to martians. Ann Althouse just inadvertently let me know my feelings are correct:



If whites could just admit they don't know everything - to themselves and to others - show that humility they so often demand, we could probably get somewhere. Instead, they arrogantly think blacks will bend to their will, their understanding, their outlook, when they don't know the first thing about what it's like to live outnumbered by them, and their culture. 
It's maddening.


I didn't write about race, for years, and everything was fine.


I didn't ask to write about it now - my hand was forced - and those who forced it, over Trayvon, are now pissed at me, never themselves.


And then they have the nerve to wonder why anybody black, at any level, would find this a set-up, and deeply disturbing,...
 

9 comments:

  1. Who coined the term counter-Trayvonism? You?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not me, but I'm getting it - HARD.

    I want to add something to Ann's comments but don't dare, for a lot of reasons. I'd rather explain it to you and, if she wants, she can blog it.

    Can you call me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just email me. I'll keep it private.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should start calling you Toby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crack that bullwhip, Jim. Crack it til he finally learns what a big man you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cody, honest question: have you ever, in your personal life, experienced "white guilt," the individual or collective guilt often said to be felt by some white people for the racist treatment of people of color by whites both historically and presently. ?

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON