Friday, April 8, 2011

Jon Stewart Has His Fun: "I Don't Want To Live In A World Where Charles Manson Says What Our Children Can Watch On Television" (Cute)



I'm going to update this with text, in a bit, so check back for that. This is funny stuff, but should hardly be the last word on Glenn Beck, conspiracy theories, and how secularists should approach what seem like some of the "out there" investigations going on in this country, such as Beck's. (Remember: he's a Mormon, while I'm an atheist.) For now, I'll just say I think people need to remember The Daily Show is a comedy program, and that's enough reason to trust what they say less than anything FOX News's resident bible-thumper did:

Beck, as a believer, has to say what he thinks is the truth. Jon Stewart, as a comic, just has to make you laugh.

I'll be back - and thanks for the donations. You've saved my ass again.



UPDATE: So, while Jon Stewart is going on and on about everything that's easy to mock about Beck, he's conspicuously, and conveniently, leaving out the White House scalps Beck collected, and the level of political interest he inspired. He's also leaving out the fact that, though The Glenn Beck Program won't be on FOX, Glenn Beck will, in some capacity, so - along with his excellent radio broadcast - liberals will continue to be stuck with him, whether they like it or not. My take:

Liberal applause, now, many be somewhat warranted, but, to me, it still seems waaay premature.



And finally, as an atheist who gets deep into religion and spirituality, it seems disingenuous for Jon Stewart to knock Glenn Beck for his Book of Revelations nonsense by twisting it up with 2012 and the Mayan calendar, when Stewart has to know Beck is a conservative Mormon - commenting on that Leftist spirituality nonsense. All it makes me wonder is why Jon Stewart never says anything about, say, Louise Hay's influence on PBS? Actually, I don't have to wonder why, because the answer is obvious:

PBS is for and of the Left, so they can spout all the NewAge nonsense they want, and Stewart won't say a word about how crazy they appear.

But that's fine - as I said, the man's a professional clown, and his mandate is to make us laugh - so, as long as he's being funny and Beck & Co. are kicking his and the Left's NewAge ass, we should occasionally be able to give Stewart a pass because, in the larger scheme of things, the joke is definitely on him.

Which is yet another topic he'll never discuss on The Daily Show.

13 comments:

  1. I'll keep the $$$ rolling in amigo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belief Systems are AwesomeApril 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM

    Beck, as a believer, has to say what he thinks is the truth.

    -----------------

    Cool, I'll keep that in mind next time I get into an argument with a "true believing" ________

    (Marxist, Jehovah's Witness, Scientologist, etc.. they're all the same to me, quite frankly)

    If you subscribe to a belief system, no matter how ridiculous, then that means you are INCAPABLE of deception!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BSAA,

    Did I say all belief systems, or believers, are the same? No, you lept to that conclusion yourself, with no prompting from anyone - proving you're a fool - also with no prompting from anyone.

    That's a pretty sorry way to go through life:

    I'd change it if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BSAA,

    Keep in mind, before you post again, that I have a low threshold for idiots, so don't be one. If you are - if you recognize that quality in yourself and just can't help it - then, please, spare me:

    I've got better things to do than deleting your shit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see you deleted my information about the Mormon mind-control cult. What's the matter, feel you need to defend your hero Glenn Beck?

    No matter. With or without you, this information is all over the internet, anyone can find out the truth about the Mormon brainwashing cult just as eaily as they can about Scientology or the Moonies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cult Buster,

    When I was a kid, one lesson I received is when you assume things, you make an ASS out of U and ME, so one of the funniest, tiring, and most disheartening aspects of doing a blog is seeing how often people will write in and throw accusations at me, all based on their assumptions, without a fact - or even a hint of one - to back them up. (See Belief Systems are Awesome, above, leaping to the conclusion that, because I said Glenn Beck says what he thinks is true, it means "If you subscribe to a belief system, no matter how ridiculous, then that means you are INCAPABLE of deception!!!" It's such a stupid assumption to make, I can't help but wonder if he understands what kind of blog he is posting on.)

    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and behave as though you're not the same person, working under an assumed name, even though you are displaying the same silly behavior. For instance:

    1) You accuse me of deleting a post of yours. Do you see a deleted post on this thread? I can delete a post but there would be an indicator that I'd done so if I had. Where is it? It doesn't exist because (wait for it) it didn't happen. So you have accused me wrongly.

    These types of examples, always from my accusers, make it very clear to me how badly the world works and why.

    2) You say Glenn Beck is my "hero". What in the world would give you that impression? because I defended him against The Daily Show's slander? I'd say that display of illogical thinking is exactly why The Daily Show has fans - they are people incapable of clear thought.

    I defended Glenn Beck because Jon Stewart was unfair - just as you're being unfair to me - and because it's the right thing to do. None of which implies I'm a fan of Glenn Beck - he's a Mormon who preaches The Book of Revelations, I'm an atheist with an anti-cult fetish. How you make the leap to he's my hero, without me saying it myself, is another lesson in the danger of assumptions.

    You, Sir (or Madam) are not a cult buster, but a foolish person who makes wild accusations without the least consideration. I would advise you, if you think you're cult busting, to forgo that chosen profession because you do not possess the requisite tools necessary to accomplish the job - first and foremost, a logical mind, and also any concern for wronging your fellow man, as you have done to me, here.

    You do the title, the profession, and yourself, a disservice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Montana,

    Glenn Beck is a mainstream Mormon, not a fundamentalist, so I don't get your point in discussing them in the context of Beck. Again, it just seems like a ruthless desire to slander the man, which makes me think your desire to "right the wrong" is no more pure than you assume he is. Which would only mean you're both liars.

    I find that most of the people who attack Glenn Beck are of a pretty low sort. This isn't to say there are criticisms of him that can't or shouldn't be made, but that that's hardly ever their desire - they just want to get him - probably because he's singlehandedly done damage to Obama's image, his administration, and the Left's brand.

    I would suggest to you that, if you all were better people, such damage wouldn't have been so easily administered by a man who could, so easily, be portrayed as a clown. He made you look foolish because YOU ARE FOOLISH. And now he's going to walk away from his TV show - but not FOX - with a bucketful of money, his radio program, and his brand, still intact, while the rest of you gloat over what you think of as a great victory. But the truth is, he's beaten you already, and your continued attacks mean nothing to anyone who's truly keeping score.

    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Montana,

    I think I should also add the political damage Beck has inflicted on the Left was done fairly, and the reason I said you're foolish is by your trying to inflict damage on him unfairly - like trying to connect him with the FLDS. Why you would think attacking him in that manner will win the day, I don't know, but I can tell you it won't:

    It'll only work to inflict more damage on yourself and your cause.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THAT (above) is a description of "mainstream" Mormonism

    Check out:

    http://www.exmormon.org/
    http://www.postmormon.org

    Also:

    Steve Hassan: How The LDS Fits The Cult Profile

    Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Cult Awareness expert Steven Hassan discusses how cults opperate and how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints fits the profile of a cult in both practice and organization.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cult Buster,

    I hope you're putting this up for the sake of other readers because, if you think you're telling me anything I don't know, you're badly mistaken.

    And condescending to me doesn't go over well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am hoping this info will help people trapped in the LDS organization - thanks for not deleting it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude, I haven't deleted anything. Blogger must be eating them - it happens - but it's not me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a relative who thinks Glen Beck can walk on water. I don’t know if my relative buys gold from Glen Beck, but would not be surprised.

    It’s not against the law to overcharge for assets if you give buyers enough information to make informed decisions. Are idiotic time shares going to be criminalized next? When HFT bids the stock up on no volume and a sucker chases momentum and buys, why is that legal and Beck’s sponsor Goldline is bad?

    I have no problem with Fox News acting as a predator towards it’s viewers. Stupid is as stupid does. Besides, I’m not sure I understand the equity or intelligence of protecting people who hate namby pamby nanny government. They’ll only hate you for it.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON