Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Making Us Sick - For Nothing - Is "Natural" (Who Knew?)




…Led by discredited doctors and, incredibly, a former Playmate, the movement has frightened new parents with claptrap about autism, Alzheimer’s, aluminum, and formaldehyde. The movement that was once a fringe freak show has become a menace, with foot soldiers whose main weapon is their self-righteousness. For them, vaccinating their children is merely a consumer choice, like joining an organic food co-op or sending their kids to a Montessori school or drinking coconut water.


Thanks a lot, anti-vaccine parents. You took an ethical stand against big pharma and the autism your baby was not going to get anyway, and, by doing so, killed some babies and gave me, an otherwise healthy 31-year-old woman, the whooping cough in the year 2013. I understand your wanting to raise your own children as you see fit, science be damned, but you're selfishly jeopardizing more than your own children. Carry your baby around in a sling, feed her organic banana mash while you drink your ethical coffee, fine, but what gives you denialists the right to put my health at risk—to cause me to catch a debilitating, humiliating, and frightening cough that, two months after I finished my last course of antibiotics (how’s that for supporting big pharma?), still makes me convulse several times a day like some kind of tragic nineteenth-century heroine? "


1 comment:

  1. Most excellent rant!
    Whooping cough made the rounds at my kid's school already this year...

    PW

    *of course, they could (and have) pointed to my youngest, but I think I'd rather have her alive and autistic then in an iron lung or dead (that's even if we take their claims as truth, which they aren't)...and the other great thing is: her problem isn't contagious!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON