Thursday, July 1, 2010

Being Kicked Out Or Getting Drawn In: Cultism

I think where other NewAge commenters and I get lost is, they're usually talking about what an individual part of NewAge is about, while I'm interested in how it's cultism works. For instance, it doesn't really matter to me that Homeopathy is only water, I care that people become so collectively delusional in their belief about that water they kill themselves or others. I don't see much mainstream interest in how that occurs, who's behind spreading it and keeping it going, or (especially) the extremely lame response to it as a phenomena. It's not mentioned at all, really, until something bad happens.

Earth to everybody: something bad is already happening,...

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd call the New Age movement as a whole a cult because there are so many different aspects. Some of it really doesn't seem cultish to me, just alternative ideas. There are certain "gurus" out there, however, whose only aim is to take people's money, and there are plenty of what seem to me to be disillusioned Christians who are just putting a new spin on the same old judgmental crap. A lot of the faith healing is the same thing as the Christian faith healing, only one is supposed to have faith in oneself, and then if it doesn't work, it's because you didn't have enough faith. Either way, it's dangerous.
    I have found certain homeopathic remedies that actually work for me, for instance arnica liniment for sore muscles. However, if I have a broken leg or a severe skin infection, I am going to the hospital and would advise anyone to do the same. I think one simply needs to know where to draw the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't know if I'd call the New Age movement as a whole a cult because there are so many different aspects. Some of it really doesn't seem cultish to me, just alternative ideas."

    Like?

    "I have found certain homeopathic remedies that actually work for me, for instance arnica liniment for sore muscles."

    Please explain how plain water could "work" for sore muscles.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON