Friday, August 30, 2013

Destructive Appearances


And then, every so often, I catch a glimmer of daylight:



Which, of course, needs to be stamped out - that's the purpose of the article. The writer, being a fan of the adulterous and multi-married Springsteen, he probably thinks, or thought, like this:
Some years ago, the man I am married to told me he had always had a mad desire to go to an orgy. Why on earth, I asked. Why not, he said.

And he'd later be divorced by that woman, who'd become admired for it, because she thinks, or thought, like this:
It would be just like the dances at the YMCA I went to in the seventh grade—only instead of people walking past me and rejecting me, they would be stepping over my naked body and rejecting me.

These are misshapen trolls, presented as our cultural heroes.


Thank goodness, not everyone's following their lead,...
 

2 comments:

  1. No defense of Springsteen is ever about his music, the real people-touching-instruments part of it. Because his music is artless shit. He's Billy Joel for people who hate music so much they can't even listen to Billy Joel (because he sounds like he likes music). If you've ever heard a sound that moved or amazed you, you can't possibly bear to listen to Springsteen.

    "But he had that black guy...with the soul..."

    He sucked and you know it! Stop buying records! Stop saying you like things! You don't! You hate life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letters -- stating that the only song of his that made me smile was that one song, and only because it got turned around on him (and really pissed him off) is pretty much stating exactly what you said: it's artless shit (which gets entirely too much air time because...Bruce! who is a complete asshole as a person as well, so why he gets the adoration he does is beyond me).
    And I'd call Bruce the "take me seriously because I'm angst-y and shit" version of Joel -- who at least doesn't seem to take himself that seriously and does seem to like music, so Joel's got that going for him (and makes him listenable).

    PW
    *never bought a Springsteen record because for the same reason you said; he sucks -- on more than one level

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON