Friday, July 31, 2009

Nothing That Big Moves This Fast Either

Los Angeles: in motion from Michael Marantz on Vimeo.


This video claims it's featuring Los Angeles, but is really just the places tourists go (Venice, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Downtown) with not one scene of South Central, Inglewood, East L.A., The Valley, Pasadena, Compton, Watts, Torrance, or anywhere else I think of as "home".

Oh well, it still made me a little homesick. I love L.A..

Hat Tip: Little Green Footballs

UPDATE: The great Joseph Nigro (whose contributions to this blog are terribly missed) sent me these two reminders, above and below, of what the "real L.A." experience is like - Man, I got so good at avoiding bullets that, at times, I felt like I was Wonder Woman with those fucking bracelets! - and, yet, I still miss it. Sigh. I'll get back there again, one day. I can hardly wait:


2 comments:

  1. I was born in Inglewood, grew up in El Segundo, and spent 15 years in Torrance. I love to visit L.A., but am so glad I no longer live there. Do you think you would you move back there? (I wouldn't.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a chance, Lou. I can stun my friends back home by simply telling them I don't have police helicopters flying overhead, or that police pass me by without staring, or that I haven't heard one police siren since I left. They can't imagine it.

    I recently watched two little girls walking in the middle of the street at night, holding hands and laughing, with not a care in the world, and my first thought was how lucky I am to have moved.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON