Sunday, February 27, 2011

Anytime You Want To Start Trials For Throwing The Environmentalist Frauds In Prison, Please, Let Us Know (We've Been Ready For Awhile)

Oh man, we thought we were done with the climate crazies, but no - we've got one left and his name is Mike Tidwell and, honestly, he's gone, baby:
Ten years ago, I put solar panels on my roof and began eating locally grown food. I bought an energy-efficient refrigerator that uses the power equivalent of a single light bulb. I started heating my home with a stove that burns organically fertilized corn kernels. I even restored a gas-free lawn mower for manual yardwork.

As a longtime environmental activist, I was deeply alarmed by new studies on global warming, so I went all out. I did my part.

Now I'm changing my life again. Today, underneath the solar panels, there's a new set of deadbolt locks on all my doors.

There's a new Honda GX390 portable power generator in my garage, ready to provide backup electricity. And last week I bought a starter kit to raise tomatoes and lettuce behind barred basement windows.

I'm not a survivalist or an "end times" enthusiast. When it comes to climate change, I'm just a realist.

I haven't given up the cause. I still work overtime to promote clean energy, and I take solace when top climate scientists say we can still avoid the worst effects of global warming if we move quickly. It's just that, well, we're running out of time.

The proof is everywhere - outside my front door, in my neighborhood, on the news. After a decade of failure to address climate change at the national and international levels, our weather has gone haywire. In the Washington region alone, in barely a year, we've annihilated all records for snow accumulation, we've seen appalling power outages associated with year-round thunderstorms, and we've experienced the hottest summer in the 140 years we've been measuring. Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II now applies directly: "The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

Those consequences explain the generator in my garage and why I'm reinforcing my basement windows to protect emergency supplies.

This may seem like a stunt, or a sign that this frustrated environmentalist has finally lost it. But I'm not crazy. Just wait.
And he hasn't even gotten to the part about buying guns to protect his tomatoes! As one commenter said, we think his tin foil hat has gotten a bit too snug, but, we also have to admit, we prefer this one loon at The Washington Post to when it seemed like our entire society had lost it's mind.

O.K., no jokes, really talking on-the-level now:

What's going on with Mr. Tidwell is the inevitable result of a NewAge cult society gone mad, in far too many ways for most to grasp. For decades, Tidwell's been subjected to this pseudoscientific religious malarky from presidential candidates and other politicians, politicized "scientists", politicized royalty, politicized celebrities, so-called "experts", spiritualists and religious figures, movies, television, public service announcements, and more, all repeating the same doomsday message and waving off anyone and anything that could possibly show none of it was true. We should all be ashamed.

The most important people we want to know about, now, are within his community - where are his friends to talk him down? He says he's married, what does his wife really think? Is it possible to reach her?

Or does she need help, too?

1 comment:

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON