Saturday, August 31, 2013

I Was "Nigger Rich" (As My White Friends Like To Say)


I had just driven cross-country - to two separate locations - recovering my recording equipment, only to get injured and now find myself mostly staring at it. So, to say I've wondered about this a lot lately, is an understatement:
"Past research has often blamed [poverty] on the personal failings of the poor. They don’t work hard enough; they’re not focused enough. What we’re arguing is it’s not about the individual. It’s about the situation."

In other words, I could barely "win" for losing. Sure, I got my stuff, but since I had nothing for a "rainy day," when it poured - an ulcer followed by two separate bulging disk incidents - I got soaked. How much effort, or talent, I was putting into making my project happen (and I was already giving it everything) didn't matter, when my first prescription (of three) was $800.00 out of pocket. And I couldn't work? 

Do the math.

  I put my first piece of recording equipment up for sale today.


That IS "the situation."


And yeah, conservative or not, I can't help but wonder if my party's given it any serious thought,...
 

1 comment:

  1. My opinion is "no, they have not". Because it appears as though the sole duty of the GOP is to merely play the opposite to the Democrats -- and Democrats build statues to the poor and write a lot of articles about them (in which the Democrats do nothing to actually do something about the situation; it's all about feeling good about themselves)...so the "proper" response from the loyal GOP opposition is, well, some of the comments to that Hot Air article say all that needs to be said (and again, it is about feeling morally righteous and justified, aka. good, about oneself and nothing at all to do with working on the situation and thus bettering society.

    I'm sorry about your situation (which is very much like what I'm seeing more and more of)...as well as the mindsets coming from both camps anymore.

    PW

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON