Monday, September 29, 2014

Ta-Nehisi Coates, Chauncy DeVega, Me And The Blues


Even when you tell whites something, directly, they seem not to get it

I'm always asked how I can stay so down on America. It's a silly question, usually posed by whites with no clue how their racism affects blacks, plunging us into an unexpected depression we're forced to live with because,...there's no escaping white's racism. The Atlantic's Ta-Nehisi Coates (now regarded as black's point man on race) has written of his "Blue Period," and We Are Respectable NegroesChauncey DeVega has mentioned the "Blues Sensibility" that captures his soul, too. 

 I am no different - except I have fewer defenses than they do - and that, alone, can curdle into a fierce anger the others also don't possess. The fact, I have to live with people who cause hatred - but don't understand their actions - is as much justification as I need.

But if I was free American - like whites - I wouldn't need any:

Their racist behavior, without justification, tells me so,...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON