Tuesday, June 25, 2013

This IS A Man's World (But It Wouldn't Mean Nothing,...)


"Awww, geez, will you look at this!" (Wow - I'm sure that's the absolute best Archie Bunker impression you're ever going to get from a black guy - and, as far as I'm concerned, worth the effort of clicking over all by itself. Now get out of here, before you read further and get disappointed,...) That wasn't the sound of  me discovering a new cult movie on the way (with public support!) but of my heart crumbling when I read this  - and before I almost ran into the street, naked and hysterical, in total despair over the injustice of it all:
“More than a THIRD of women worldwide will experience physical or sexual violence at some point in their lives.”

That's a headline. A startling headline. Drove me nuts. Thanks a lot, Daily Mail! 


I started hyperventilating, and yelling "Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God!" over and over again, before deciding, right then and there, I've got to do something.


Then, I don't know why, I flashed my life - and what a man's life is like generally - and I started to laugh out loud, like a crazy person, as I realized the media had almost suckered me again.



I used to have a friend who said feminists got beat up because "they don't listen!" That's, mostly, the same reason men do. Somebody's being unreasonable and - bullheadedness being a dare - forced somebody's hand. Right and wrong ("Where's my fucking money?") not weak or strong, bigger or smaller, or whatever other self-serving nonsense feminists try to get us to focus on (somebody's always bigger, idiots, that's why you hone your skills,...). If women can box, wrestle, fight wars, be ruthless CEOs - or ride a fucking croc - women can get their asses kicked without it being a major fucking media story.


It's too bad The Daily Mail (or any other publication) never includes stats on how many of those violence-seekers were in the wrong and responsible for their situation. That would definitely shift the needle on how much sympathy they get. 

And how desirable they've become.


When feminism is complete, and men view women the same way they see weasely/shifty little untrustworthy guys - used car salesmen, drinking too much, and spouting manipulative bullshit - THAT's when women will finally be on an equal footing with men.


But (and this is where your disappointment kicks in) women's equality, too, will be men's doing - for having gained the proper post-feminist perspective for conflict:


 "Are you really going to let that asshole fuck with you?"

1 comment:

  1. On one hand we have this feminist bullshit (and it is bullshit: sorry, but you can't scream "any woman can!" out of one side of your mouth, while the other side screams "you can't do _ I'm a woman!". Life just does not operate that way (not for long at least). It's completely ridiculous.

    And on the other hand we have this:

    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/05/mitt-romney-quiverfull-fundamentalist-family-planning-advice

    I have no desire to have myself (although my time is long past) and especially my daughters viewed as some state approved broodmares for a "divine army". Why do I hear the refrains of "Kinder, Kuche, Kirche" when I read this? (then again, why do I hear refrains of the Internationale when I read screeds from most feminists)

    No thanks to either one of them -- I think honing one's skills and not starting no shit would be a much better platform for us ladies (and everyone else really). Better chance of being treated as a person living in this world; better chance of us being forced to see other people as persons too (this womanhood/pedestal crap has got to go -- just a human being please).

    PW

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON