Wednesday, November 24, 2010

People Who Sang For Obama Need New Songs



In case you wanted to know what's going on in North Korea, and why we call it a cult, here's a nice little video that'll be sure to creep you out. Not only because of what it shows going on there, but how closely what's going on there hues to what happened here during the last election, with school children and others singing songs about - and declaring their allegiance to - a political figure who was labeled "The One". A political figure who declared he could heal the sick, lower the oceans, and so forth.

Of course, all that was brushed aside by those who were engaging in it, but this is exactly what it looked like from the outside.

This, Ladies and Gentlemen, was the face of Hope and Change.

3 comments:

  1. Not a bit different than the "Praise the Lord" crowd.

    With one major difference.

    These people are living under the imminent threat of imprisonment, torture and death should they fail to praise the Big Crazy at the Top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't with me in Oakland, Calif. during the election:

    I know that to which I speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On election day, 2008, a friend and I were making the long, slow drive into downtown LA. Our conversation was centered on the scary crazy zeal for Obama exhibited by our friends and acquaintances (most of them involved in the arts). We both noted that if we dared question their support for Obama, we were branded uninformed, unenlightened, racists, morons - there was no shortage of insults hurled our way. Meanwhile, the only "reasoning" we got from these people was based upon visions of a glorious future, minus any stated plan or specific course of action.

    Later that evening, we were at a musical theater performance at the Ahmanson. As soon as the lights went up for intermission, a low buzz started in the mezzanine. Thinking there had been some kind of unexpected occurrence, we looked up and saw people smiling and hi fiving each other. The buzz spread and grew into a roar which erupted into shouting, applause, stamping of feet, jumping up and down.

    All my hair stood on end, as I guessed it was because the results had come in that Obama would be our next leader. I know the Nazi correlation has been grossly overused, but I hope you'll understand the spirit in which I say this.

    I felt that somehow I was experiencing the mindless jubilation of 1930's Germany, convinced that the best times were just ahead, thanks to the ascendancy of good old Adolph.

    I have a sick feeling in my stomach now just remembering the moment. My friend and I looked at each other and sat down. It was the only form of protest available to us at the time.

    Happy Thanksgiving, CMC.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON