Friday, October 16, 2009

Effective (If You're Stupid Enough To Believe It)



I can still remember watching The Exorcist with my foster sister, and laughing my ass off all the way through it. My sister watched between her fingers and, afterwards, wouldn't let anybody get any sleep that night. What was different about us? I know a movie when I'm watching one and, as an atheist, don't believe in ghosts or spirits. It was just entertainment to me, while I don't know what it was to my bubble-headed foster sister.

Unfortunately, as I've grown older, I've come to find there are more people in the world like her - bubbleheaded, easily led, gullible, stupid, incapable of reasoning or critical thought - so I don't get to laugh at these things like I used to. Such people take all the joy out of life, out of movies, out of everything. I like my sleep, but if you goofy assholes let your silly beliefs dictate your behavior, then you are also insisting the rest of us have to suffer your insanity every time you hear a fucking creak somewhere in the house. Boo, bitch. You need to grow-the-fuck-up.

I wanna watch a fucking movie.

3 comments:

  1. People are always fascinated with the power of supernatural persons-beings-angels-demons. They are only weak decievers, but people still want to see, know and borrow the use of their powers.That is why the church growth today is among the churches that acknowledge the supernatural, such as Catholic and Pentacostal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easily demonstrated that humans can't explain all phenomena they intake through their five senses. It is more illogical to say that humans can explain everything right now because it is completely provable that humanity isn't there yet. One can argue whether humanity will get there or not, but at least right now, stuff comes along occasionally that is beyond our ability to explain.

    I believe humans are all weak and not capable of understanding everything they experience, so I am not surprised by nor do I consider stupid people who think they've experienced paranormal/paraspiritual phenomena. If they could use fancy physics terminology instead, that wouldn't mean it was more real. Science is full of theories that aren't even falsifiable, depending on the field you look into. Things that aren't falsifiable are basically the scientists' version of 'I believe in demons/ghosts/etc'.

    All that said, this particular movie is a bit silly. If I thought some crazy stuff was going down in my house, I would move out. I actually cannot stand the haunted house genre because you can always get another house. And at least from what I understand to be the plot, these folks have never heard of parasomnia (sleepwalking in interesting ways).

    oh well, i like your blog anyway, you bring the knowledge, including the understanding that discernment is an increasingly lost character trait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That you are an atheist is not an explanation for your reaction. I am not atheist, but I too find this "scary" stuff amusing.

    A good number of people seem incapable of separating movies from reality. Why? Who knows.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON