Sunday, June 24, 2012

Working Man: Year One (The War I've Got To Win,...)


I wish I could be here as often as usual, but I have a new job - with lots of overtime - so my focus has to be on getting my workplace responsibilities down. Currently, my schedule goes like this:


Up at 3 or 5AM, go to work. Stay there until 7 or 8PM. Return home, eat, sleep, do it again.


I'm sure you can see the dilemma. Not to worry, though, because - somewhere between "eat" and "sleep" - I'm still collecting our usual bits of NewAge bullshit for whenever I get another chance to blog. And so I can stay up on current events, make the claim "I have a life," and/or desire that my co-workers wonder about me over the water cooler. Right now, whenever I drop a particularly mad morsel on them, they just whisper "He's from California" under their breath and let me go on my way:


It doesn't bother me. One guy has taken to calling me Conspiracy Theory - because he "caught" me listening to NPR's "Science Friday" - NOT because I regaled him with the story of a psychic who "brainwashed two women into stripping to help contact their dead relatives." I shoulda gone there.


(I really should've. Everybody loves the kind of women who will provide a man like me with that kind of tale, while - at the same time - demanding I see all NewAge fembots as "smart and independent.")


But, no. Whatever I do, in this cultural environment, there's bound to be misunderstandings.


What am I saying? We're all rendered fools. People into science are conspiracy theorists. Conspiracy theorists are scientists, while doctors are killers and any mau-mauing "spiritual" jackass - with no knowledge of anything - is the "healer" and so on. You can't trust the media. (I said you can't trust the media) and blogs aren't much better, so what are you going to do? I'll tell you what I'm doing:


I'm keeping my head down - my mouth shut - and staying in motion.


Just like in Pol Pot's Vietnam, in America today, revealing anything more is dangerous,…
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON