Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Sleeping While Standing (And Other Magic Negro Tales)


As much as I can do without Oprah "The Secret" Winfrey in this movie or anything else (I haven't even watched movies she's financed, like Precious) casting her still kinda makes sense. And though, politically, I know it could get pretty ugly and stupid (being a Weinstein film also starring Forest "I'm Spiritual" Whitaker) I want to see it anyway: 

Like the desire to see a black president elected, how America's slaves cared for it's royalty - and what that means - has been privately mulled over by blacks my entire life.

Some version of this story is long overdue: 

But, if this crew stay true to form, expect Being There and Forrest Gump in blackface,...
 

1 comment:

  1. Meh...in the back of my mind I'm thinking back to the fuss kicked up by leftists and fellow travellers over "Secretariat" and the role of Eddie Sweat (who was a truly great groom, and a very sharp gentleman...back then the grooms ruled the backstretch and you were a fool not to listen to them as the final word, and they knew it too).
    Taking cheap shots at Eddie really pissed me off -- I grew up around those guys, a dying breed and the likes of which you don't see anymore.
    So taking pot shots at a good guy who was a master of his craft, and now this? Piss on them!

    PW

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON