Friday, November 23, 2012

This: How The Rich Get Richer And The Poor Get Poorer


 
Whew! Look at all those people - who, each and every one of them, would swear they hate war - go! We never should've gone into Iraq? Hell, we never should've opened a Walmart

Happy Thanksgiving, you fucking buffoons! 

I just worked 36 hours in two days - and have another double shift coming this evening - so I'm now a slow-moving wreck (after "just resting my head" in my own bed, I eventually fell asleep in my dirty work clothes, and - after 8 hours of sleep - never once spilled the beer in my hand. Yes, even comatose - I'm that good!) but, man, it was worth it: 

I've earned enough money to viciously fight with my neighbors over whatever absolutely worthless lit-up trinkets are now "on sale." 

I've been scanning the "Black Friday" ads, and it's amazing how much junk is out there. Even more amazing is how little of it consists of anything that can lead to, or is intended for, a productive life. Is buying a flat-screen LCD television, or a Nintendo Wii, going to put money in your pocket - or take it out, by further inducing you to waste your time? Camping gear? Jewelry? How important is a Kindle, or a Nook, when most people have a library of unread books on their shelves? 

It's astounding, the mental slight-of-hand people can play on themselves, over nothing. 

And, meanwhile, we're worried about the economy. Worried sick. Sure we are. 

Yesterday, a co-worker asked me what I was going to buy for myself this holiday season and, when I said "nothing," he replied, "Me either - Hey, I like you!" So I punched him in the face. 


I've got a copy of James Brown LIVE at the Apollo in 1968 to screen before I head back in. 

I'ma pray to that: 

In the name of Jesus or something - which'll make it O.K. See you guys in a couple of days,...

1 comment:

  1. My husband has to work BF always; it's making him hate the holidays.
    But he does usually get some real steals...the hint is to look in the bargain/clearance bin at the stuff the store hopes might get offloaded rather than have to deal with it anymore, and to go looking for handy stuff like jumper cables, paint (he got me a sweet deal on paint this year, that I can hopefully use to make a few bucks in our cottage industry), etc. (sorta like going to a book/music store -- the real steals are often in the bargain bin: you have to look through some junk, but classics for $2 that sort of thing) The actual "sales" stuff is a big con game; plus you may wind up hospitalized in order to get it -- can we say "racket"?

    Merry Christmas!

    PW

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON