Monday, July 19, 2010

It's Now The NewAge E-Con-No-Me (For Me)

"New Age 'Asiatic' thought ... is establishing itself as the
hegemonic ideology of global capitalism."


--Slavoj Žižek

So I could really use those donations now:

Today I quit the job I've held for over a year - without another one lined up - because I just couldn't take it anymore.

It wasn't worth it.

Three 8:30AM sales meetings a week - Monday, Friday, and Saturday - whether you were working those days (or hours) or not, which were nothing more than motivational speaking pegged to The Secret ("This is the only job where your will comes into play,...") so it followed, if things didn't always go smoothly, it was because I (never those above me) didn't put enough into it.

And this business, in theory, had absolutely nothing to do with NewAge.

Yet I was forced to work with (and train) a woman who spouted off about "karma" and "energy" on a regular basis (mine was "negative" of course) and who handed out business cards for her other job as a massage therapist.

My employers haven't seemed to have a problem with that.

One recent customer told me she was leaving her husband and going to start a business in "energy healing". Luckily enough, she couldn't afford to buy anything, and I never saw her again.

But, during a casual sales call, one of my last customers informed me she was having her bad back treated by a homeopath, and asked me what I thought, forcing me to immediately get off the phone and give her account to someone else.

*Sigh*

I don't know what I'm going to do.

These people are in power now, they've wrecked the economy, and the job market, and there's absolutely no way for me to escape the culture.

I can't even get away from it at home. Not too long ago, one of my roommates asked if he could switch out the light bulbs in my room for those twisty things and I said, "No, I'm cool, I don't do the green thing." His reply? "Who brainwashed you?"

We got into an argument that resulted in him threatening to call the cops on me for yelling at him. (NewAgers are always threatening me with arrest for getting in the way of their plans - which is another subject that never gets any play out there: how vulnerable a black conservative's freedom can be, in 2010, if they don't go along,...)

I eat all my meals alone in my room, because both of my roommates are compelled to inform me of how unhealthy I am, eating a normal breakfast or dinner (non-organic, etc.) made with regular supermarket-bought products.

It's going to drive me crazy.

I'm just not cut out for this world - I should be out there challenging it.

Music is what I'm supposed to be doing - but with a somewhat more conservative message.

Think about it:

No liberal's going to back me in music now.

My life is fucked - by a god damn belief system.

But that is the point, isn't it?

Since I have to go out now (in the spirit of The Secret) and "attract" another one?

1 comment:

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON