Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Funny Part Is They Think It's HE Who Never Learns


Watching the betrayal in Martha Marcy May Marlene got me thinking about cults.

Which got me thinking about the many betrayals of the cult of Scientology.

Which got me thinking about the up-coming release of director Paul Thomas Anderson's Scientology-is-bullshit themed film, The Master.

Which got me thinking about Paul Thomas Anderson specifically showing The Master to Tom Cruise before it's release.

Which got me thinking about Paul Thomas Anderson's previous film on the difficulty of dealing with cultists, There Will Be Blood.

Which got me thinking about Paul Thomas Anderson's put-upon alter ego in Punch Drunk Love (above) contrasted with that film's beautifully optimistic visual interludes by Jeremy Blake.

Which got me thinking about Blake and his girlfriend, Theresa Duncan, then committing suicide claiming Scientology was out to destroy them but no one would listen.

Which got me thinking about Tom Cruise playing a cult leader in Paul Thomas Anderson's earlier it's-all-connected film, Magnolia.

Which got me thinking about the possible unfolding cult ramifications of Paul Thomas Anderson refusing Cruise top billing as his second film's star.

Which got me thinking about Paul Thomas Anderson only hiring the Scientologist for Magnolia after Cruise requested to work with the massively successful young director of Boogie Nights.

Which got me thinking about the probability of payback being one convoluted motherfucker in cult-infested Hollywood.

3 comments:

  1. OK, Crack, here is the hypothetical.

    Somehow, magically, the election comes down to you, Crack. You get to do one of three things. Elect Obama. Elect Romney. Or decide not to play, and it's decided by a coin toss. Note, that in any event, your anti-cultist views will not be revealed to anyone, and so a principled stand gains you nothing.

    You get to decide. What do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear, the way you guys frame things is atrocious:

    "Your anti-cultist views will not be revealed to anyone, and so a principled stand gains you nothing"?

    Since when? If I only consider the ability to live with MYSELF, you're wrong - why couldn't you consider that? What's wrong with your mind that it's so consumed with conventional thinking? That stopping SOMEONE ELSE from jumping off a cliff is the only benefit from knowing not to do it?

    It's simply nonsensical,...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, I have to think about the life of my children, and make the best decision based on that.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON