Saturday, December 27, 2008

I Know Nothing, I See Nothing (I Just Report It) And If You Believe That I've Got A Bridge For Sale

"In June, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life published a controversial survey in which 70 percent of Americans said that they believed religions other than theirs could lead to eternal life.

This threw evangelicals into a tizzy. After all, the Bible makes it clear that heaven is a velvet-roped V.I.P. area reserved for Christians. Jesus said so: 'I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.' But the survey suggested that Americans just weren’t buying that.

The evangelicals complained that people must not have understood the question. The respondents couldn’t actually believe what they were saying, could they?



So in August, Pew asked the question again. (They released the results last week.) Sixty-five percent of respondents said — again — that other religions could lead to eternal life. But this time, to clear up any confusion, Pew asked them to specify which religions. The respondents essentially said all of them.

And they didn’t stop there. Nearly half also thought that atheists could go to heaven — dragged there kicking and screaming, no doubt — and most thought that people with no religious faith also could go.

What on earth does this mean?”


-- Charles M. Blow, once again proving one of two things: A) reporters don't understand anything about NewAge belief, or B) they know all-too-well and just ain't saying - while always taking another vengeful NewAge swing at Christianity - which would fit quite nicely with TMR's view of The New York Times.



6 comments:

  1. You don't even remember your own posts, do you? :-)

    This isn't new age, its universalism...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - long time:

    I'm not gonna go through this with you, again, except to say "NewAge" is an umbrella term for all kinds of nonsense (quack medicine, etc.) so, if you want to stick universalism in there, fine by me:

    I'm staying with NewAge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that's cool - make up whatever meanings for words you want! That's the postmodern way, eh?

    Makes it a bit difficult to communicate with others, but "whatever," as the kids say...

    BTW, do you really think that the disbelief in Hell is "nonsense"?

    Just curious... I know a lot of atheists but I've never met one who specifically believes in eternal supernatural punishment before...

    take it easy

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hey that's cool - make up whatever meanings for words you want! That's the postmodern way, eh?"

    You are determined to try to get on my bad side, aren't you? (LOL)

    Look, I don't have time to keep up with this and, at the same time, try to explain all the nuances of NewAge belief to everybody - you've just got to read the blog at this point - I'm too far ahead of you. Maybe, if I was doing video, that would be one thing but, you have to understand, I can't type. So I do what I can, and ask for donations, and - if enough don't come in - then I just keep on doing what I can. And that's about all I can say.

    Of course I think the disbelief in Hell - without being an atheist - is nonsense. For the same reason I find Buddhism (atheism with a "spiritual" element) to be nonsense. I am truly an "atheist," and I know what that word means, and there's no such beliefs involved in it. Universalism, etc., is just more NewAge "you can believe what you want to believe" shmorgasborg (sp?) religious bullshit. (Like that genius, Mark Morford, says - Jesus secretly did yoga,...riiight.) So everybody gets into Heaven but Hell's too troubling of a concept? Aww, the poor cowardly babies. Is somebody afraid to die? Whatever, man - it's gonna happen anyway:

    That shit they're talking is just so much dabbling in madness to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look, I don't have time to keep up with this and, at the same time, try to explain all the nuances of NewAge belief to everybody - you've just got to read the blog at this point - I'm too far ahead of you.

    -----------

    I actually have rea dthgis blog, including the posts where you talk about how its all the same to you and you can't be bothered to understand even the most basic differences between on belief system and another.

    So, no offense, but if you position is voluntary ignorance, then I'm sorry, but there aren't any "nuances" you can explain.

    -------

    Of course I think the disbelief in Hell - without being an atheist - is nonsense.

    ----------

    Your position is that non-atheists must believe in eternal supernatural punishment?

    That's ridiculous.

    ----------

    I am truly an "atheist," and I know what that word means, and there's no such beliefs involved in it.

    --------

    If are taking people to task over their disbelief in "Hell," then sorry, but you're not an atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If you position is voluntary ignorance, then I'm sorry, but there aren't any 'nuances' you can explain."

    Man, you believers are tiring. Fine. Whatever. Think what you want.

    "Your position is that non-atheists must believe in eternal supernatural punishment?

    That's ridiculous."


    That's not what I meant at all but, as a believer, you could care less so what's the point? Like I said, you make me tired with your bullshit.

    "If are taking people to task over their disbelief in 'Hell,' then sorry, but you're not an atheist."

    No, Dummy, I'm taking you to task over "belief" - in Heaven, Hell, all of it - you're nuts, and don't have the courage of your convictions. To face your demise unadorned. You need a "Heaven" while "Hell" is too troubling, so - like any NewAger - you take out the part you don't like, rather than doing the only true thing and saying it's all bullshit and - yea - you're still gonna die like a dog.

    That's reality. And I've got news for you, gleaned from years of watching people, close-up, doing the fisheye:

    That's how you go, Boy-O - like the animal you are - so prepare yourself. I mean REALLY prepare yourself, because, as a personal issue, how you face dying - and what you think as you do so - is determined by how you lived. There's no fooling yourself then. I've seen people, begging for a forgiveness no one can give, so get it right. (That's what "Heaven" means.) "Hell" means going out pissing your pants. And my atheistic ass?

    You people are such a disappointment I know I'm leaving here smiling.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON