Saturday, October 13, 2012

"Well Glory Be: The Joke's On Me,..."


I'm doing some reading before I have to work a midnight to 4 shift. Here's a paragraph that caught my attention, as it seems to explain the predicament I'm living with pretty*fucking*well, if you ask me:
Benevolence requires a strong sense of justice because a sense of justice is necessary to appreciate dishonesty: after all, in games of trust, especially with lag time, cheaters can wreak havoc. And so, over evolutionary time, an arms race honed in social mammals a growing intelligence. Trivers finds it ironic that “dishonesty has often been the file against which intellectual tools for truth have been sharpened.” But one of the outcomes of this Darwinian dynamic may have also been a genuine instinct for fairness, born of the need to distinguish trustworthy partners from charlatans.
What's the old saying? "A conservative is a liberal who's been mugged"? 

Considering the behavior of conservatives this year, I'm beginning to wonder who exactly that mugger was,…
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON